[Buildroot] X11 component versions

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Feb 4 22:24:35 UTC 2013

Dear Nicolas Dechesne,

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 22:37:36 +0100, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:

> well, what i would say is:
>  - for apps included in X11 release, take them all
>  - for other apps, it's a 'distro' choice to include it... so I would
> keep the one we have already, here I assume there must be a reason why
> they are there in BR already... and we can add new ones as needed...

We have two choices:

 * Move those apps outside of package/x11r7, so that package/x11r7 only
   contains packages that are part of official X11R7 releases. But we
   already have things like the x86-input-tslib package that is in
   package/x11r7, but is in fact not a X.org project at all.

 * Add additional exceptions for those applications in the xorg-release
   script, just to make the output of this script more meaningful.

I also feel like we have a lot of those old xapp_<something> and that
not many of them are actually useful beyond a good old xeyes to test
that your X.org server runs and that the mouse is working, and possibly
a few tools like xapp_xev and stuff like that.

But really, who cares about xman, xmh, xbiff, xcalc and similar things?

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons