[Buildroot] uboot-tools and uboot being separate

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Feb 13 23:21:12 UTC 2013

On 14/02/13 00:14, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,
>
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 23:57:03 +0100, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>
>>    I've had the same issue once: a patch to add some functionality to
>> mkimage that I needed both on the host and on the target.
>
> Then easy enough; put your patch in package/uboot-tools/. It handles
> the build and installation of both the host *and* target variant of the
> U-Boot tools.

  In my particular use case (IIRC), the patched mkimage was used to
process u-boot.bin into a ROM-bootable image. So the same patch had to be
applied to uboot-tools and uboot. But it was not in fact the same patch,
because the uboot version was different. What we did in the end is just
change the uboot-tools site to the same git repository.

>>> No. You don't have to have identical uboot-tools and uboot.
>>> Basically uboot-tools provide one tool to create U-Boot images
>>> (mkimage) and tools to manipulate the U-Boot environment from Linux
>>> (fw_printenv, fw_setenv). Those tools are backward compatible, and
>>> so you can perfectly use the tools from U-Boot 2010.x with a
>>> running U-Boot 2012.x or 2013.x.
>>
>>    Unless some feature has been added or removed.
>
> In which case you bump the version of the uboot-tools package, just
> like any other package.

  Yes, but you have to do it twice.

  It's not that it's impossible to solve, it's just inconvenient and
counter-intuitive. It's also inconvenient to have two U-Boot versions in
your legal-info output. Just like it's inconvenient to have two linux
tarballs.

  Regards,
  Arnout