[Buildroot] multchoice menu with kconfig

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Feb 18 15:33:41 UTC 2013

On 18/02/13 14:49, Stefan Fröberg wrote:
> Could someone show me how to make a multi-choice menu with kconfig
> language with the ability to select
> several menu entries and then storing those values as a space separated
> string variable.
>
> Let's say I have the following locales:
>
> af
> ak
> ar
> as
> ast
> etc .... bazillion other locale values
>
> and I would like to be able to select as many of those locales I want.
> Let's say I select locales "ak" and "ast" and then store them in a
> variable like BR2_PACKAGE_FOO_LOCALES so that it would look like
>
> BR2_PACKAGE_FOO_LOCALES = "ak ast"
>
> how to do that in the least amount of typing ?

  I don't think that's possible. You have no other option than to make a
bunch of bool options, and convert them to strings in the .mk file.

Config.in:
config BR2_PACKAGE_FOO_LOCALE_AF
	bool "af"

config BR2_PACKAGE_FOO_LOCALE_AK
	bool "ak"

foo.mk:
FOO_LOCALE += $(if $(BR2_PACKAGE_FOO_LOCALE_AF),af)
FOO_LOCALE += $(if $(BR2_PACKAGE_FOO_LOCALE_AK),ak)

  Obviously you could write a script to generate all this. But I doubt we
want to have it in the first place. In particular for locales, the
BR2_ENABLE_LOCALE_WHITELIST fits our needs. And having a list of locales
as a string isn't too user-unfriendly.

  If this is for the iso-codes package: the locales stuff is already
covered by the generic options. I don't know what Thomas was going on
about, because most of the 14MB gets removed again in the finalize step...

  The only thing that perhaps could be made optional is the installation
of the xml files.

  Regards,
  Arnout