[Buildroot] [RFC] How to handle targets that need more than one file system to boot?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Jan 3 08:53:40 UTC 2013

On 01/03/13 09:40, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Steve, All,

>> >  Hi Yann,
>> >
>> >  Maybe we are talking about different things. I think there is a config
>> >  option in buildroot that allows you to build multiple output
>> >  filesystems, I believe I have created ext4 and a tar.gz as outputs. I
>> >  think there are also various flash file systems you can create.
> Indeed, we're not speaking the same. Yes, Buildroot can generate different
> filesystem images with the*same*  content.
>
> I am trying to address the case where different parts of the filesystem
> hierarchy have to be stored in different filesystems, because they have
> to be in different partitions.
>
> For example, on the Raspberry Pi, we have to have:
>    - the first partition must be vfat and must contain the few binary
>      blobs (bootloader and config for the GPU, the Linux kernel and its
>      command line)
>    - the rest of the filesystem hierarchy can be whatever (eg. an extN
>      filesystem for / on the second partition, and another one for /home
>      on yet a third partition)
>
> Buildroot can not handle this case, which is the one I want to address
> if it makes sense.

  I think the usual case is that you have one rootfs image (e.g. ext2)
and a number of other component images (e.g. bootloader, boot script,
config for the GPU). Buildroot puts each of these in the images
directory. In _some_ cases (e.g. RPi), the non-rootfs components should
be put together into a fat filesystem. It is true that buildroot doesn't
have support for that, but it is relatively simple to do that in a
post-build script:

mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
cp output/images/* /mnt
sudo umount /mnt

  There is certainly no need to split up the rootfs itself. (Unless the
RPi-specific things install stuff in the rootfs while it really should go
into the images directory, but that's a different issue).

  AFAIK there is no equivalent of genext2fs for FAT, so it would be
rather difficult to make a boot-vfat.img in buildroot (use sudo? fuse?
pmount?).

  Regards,
  Arnout