[Buildroot] Error when adding media-ctl as package

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Jan 9 16:23:16 UTC 2013

Dear Patrick,

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:08:32 +0100, Patrick wrote:

> After changing the toolchain I have a really annoying side effect: my
> kernel do not boot anymore !
>
> My previous toolchain was Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-203 GCC 4.3.3, my
> new toolchain is Sourcery CodeBench ARM 2012.03. I run Linux 3.0 on a
> Ti DM3730 processor.
>
> With both toolchain I do not change the kernel configuration. With
> the old toolchain the kernel boot nicelly, with the new toolchain the
> kernel do not boot after u-boot message "Starting kernel ...". I use
> the same version of u-boot in both case with the same rootfs...
>
> Any idea why changing the toolchain could result in this issue ?

Most likely a compiler bug. Maybe you're being hit by
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1438281/. Since you're using a Ti
DM3730, can you instead use the Linaro toolchains, that are also
pre-configured in Buildroot (just make sure you selected the Cortex-A8
architecture variant in Buildroot) ?

Thanks,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons