[Buildroot] root.fs tar fails on 2012.11 and 2013.x from today

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Mon Jan 21 19:41:29 UTC 2013

 Thomas> Dear Nigel Sollars,
 Thomas> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:26:41 -0500, Nigel Sollars wrote:

 >> Oh I see what your saying, basically the rule is dont use an older
 >> config.  I am guess that manually changing the config to the new
 >> location in this instance, would be good enough for now..

 Thomas> No, the rule is more "we should not break existing configurations". But
 Thomas> sometimes we do, unfortunately. And in many cases, I am the one
 Thomas> responsible for those changes that create incompatibility with existing
 Thomas> configurations.

 Thomas> Arnout recently added a "legacy" mechanism that should, in the
 Thomas> future, help in making such changes less painful.

Indeed. It's not perfect, but we do try. I can also recommend to use the
'make savedefconfig' feature to create a minimalistic defconfig file
rather than the full explicit .config, as you will then automatically
pick up the new defaults for stuff you haven't changed anyway.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard