[Buildroot] Squashfs boot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Jan 23 16:18:48 UTC 2013

Dear Stefan Fröberg,

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:05:54 +0200, Stefan Fröberg wrote:

> No.
> What I meant was, that if he is going to make it *without* buildroot
> (that is, if he can't get buildroot generated squashfs root to boot).
> *Then* he has to make his own init stuff to mount those /tmp
> and /var/log.

Ok. But then if Buildroot has a bug, let's fix the bug instead of
trying to work-around it, no?

> And my own solution is overly complex because I want the ability to
> write to squashfs, even if just temporarily.
> That's why I use initramfs + squashfs + unionfs

Indeed. You could still boot the root filesystem from squashfs, and
then mount a tmpfs and do the unionfs thing. There's no real need to
split usr/ in a squashfs in order to achieve this, I think.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons