[Buildroot] [RFC v1 01/14] Add a new "src" directory in the output directory

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Jan 24 19:19:18 UTC 2013

On 01/21/13 06:38, Jérôme Pouiller wrote:
>> >  +SRC_DIR:=$(BASE_DIR)/src
> IMHO, $(SRC_DIR) should be in $(TOPDIR) to be shared between different
> configurations. In add $(SRC_DIR) have to customizable in case I would like to
> clearly separate two projects.
>
> I think, my workspace would look like this:
>    br/srcs-projet1
>    br/srcs-projet2
>    br/output-project1-configA
>    br/output-project1-configB
>    br/output-project2-configA
>    br/output-project2-configB
>
> Finally SRC_DIR should be handled like DL_DIR.

  I agree that that would be a good idea.

  However, what if the patches are different for two configurations? They
can be different because:

- there is a configuration option for custom patches, like
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_PATCH

- there are patches applied depending on configuration options, like
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_EXT_XENOMAI_ADEOS_PATCH

- there are manual modifications applied depending on some configuration
option, like BZIP2_NOLARGEFILE_FIX_MAKEFILE

- override.mk appends to the FOO_PATCH variable

- BR2_EXTRA_PACKAGE_PATCH_DIRS (not committed yet,
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/204216/ )

  So in practice, I'm afraid it's not feasible.

  Regards,
  Arnout