[Buildroot] [RFC v1 05/14] autotools infrastructure: do the autoreconf as a post patch step

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Jan 27 22:18:39 UTC 2013

On 27/01/13 17:27, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> One reason that might explain this is the lack of ordering guarantees
> on post patch hooks. For example, if you have a post patch hook that
> applies Debian patches, and a post patch hook to do the autoreconf, you
> quite certainly want the Debian patches hook to be executed before the
> autoreconf hook. But I have absolutely no idea if this is the problem
> that we were trying to fix here.

  That sounds like a likely explanation...

> That said, I still believe that the autoreconf thing belongs to the
> patch step. It is really a modification of the source code itself, and
> it is common to both the target build and host build.

  I completely agree.

> So maybe the
> autotools infrastructure needs a special hook in the generic
> infrastructure (rather than a normal post patch hook), to ensure that
> the autoreconf step gets executed after all post patch hooks?

  Or maybe (just thinking out loud here) there could be the possibility
for the package infrastructure to add additional steps in the dependency
chain. Something like

ifeq ($$($(2)_AUTORECONF),YES)
$(2)_TARGET_AUTORECONFIGURE = $$($(3)_SRCDIR)/.stamp_autoreconfigured
$(1)-autoreconfigure: $(1)-patch $$($(2)_TARGET_AUTORECONFIGURE)
$(1)-configure: $(1)-autoreconfigure
endif

  Regards,
  Arnout