[Buildroot] Linux and busybox-configfiles

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Jan 29 17:33:45 UTC 2013

On 27/01/13 23:36, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
> On 27/01/13 17:08, Stephan Hoffmann wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> buildroot provides direct calls to the configuration menus for busybox
>> and linux:
>>
>> make linux-menuconfig
>> make busybox-menuconfig
>>
>> Additionally, there is a linux-savedefconfig make target.
>>
>> All these save their output in the build directory, so that all changes
>> get lost when "make clean" is called. Thus I don't think that I am the
>> only one who has been surprised to notice that "make busybox-menuconfig
>> && make clean && make" does not have any effect on busybox's
>> configuration.
>
>   This is a bit a philosophical discussion: should the configuration
> files of linux, busybox, etc. be considered part of the buildroot
> configuration or not? In the former case, they should survive a 'make
> clean', in the latter case they should be removed by 'make clean'.
>
>   I tend to agree that the package configs should be considered part of
> the buildroot config. However, if your buildroot config specifies some
> BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_CONFIG, then I would expect that after 'make clean',
> that is the config that will be used. More generically, I expect I can do:
>
>   make foo_defconfig
>   Do all kinds of weird stuff that completely messes things up
>   make clean
>   make
>
> and to be back in the same state as 'make foo_defconfig; make'.
>

>   Bottom line: I tend to say no to this patch.

  After the feedback from Real Users (Stephan, Jeremy, Shawn), it looks
like I have to revise my opinion...

  Or are there any other voices against?

  If this does go through, I would  like to have some way to throw away
the customized config and revert to the configured config.  Perhaps a
'realclean' target?

  Regards,
  Arnout