[Buildroot] How to manually download a package?

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 08:54:32 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Woody Wu <narkewoody at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I enabled vim, but the download site seems unreachable from my place.
> But I can find the vim-7.3 from other mirror sites.  Problem is, I am
> not sure how should I put my manually downloaded file and more
> important, what's the package tarball file name buildroot is expecting.
>
> Below are build error message when buildroot failed to download vim:

> abort: error: Network is unreachable
> --2013-07-24 16:20:53--
> http://sources.buildroot.net//vim-699f8d8f096d.tar.gz
>
> Does it mean that I just need to download the vim-7.3.tar.gz and rename
> it as vim-699f8xxxx.tar.gz before put it in the buildroot download
> directory?

The vim package is directly downloading the sources from a mercurial repository.
This is basically 'hg clone <repo>' followed by 'hg archive -r
<revision> <tarball>'.
You could try this manually to check if you can do this in your network.

If the site is temporarily unavailable, you could take a previously
downloaded tarball from another buildroot directory.

The released vim-7.3.tar.gz is not exactly the same as the development
version. You could trick buildroot by renaming the tarball, but do
know that it's not the exact same thing.