[Buildroot] Strange error when set root password in buildroot

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 08:00:59 UTC 2013

>> > sorry, now I understand what you mean.  My linux is slackware linux, the
>> > mkpasswd located in /usr/bin/mkpasswd, which even don't support -V or
>> > --version to check its version number. And, yes, you are right, my
>> > 'mkpasswd' does not recognize '-m' option.
>>
>> I'm not sure. Either we have to change buildroot to detect whether -m
>> is available before using it (if not, it will probably default to
>> md5). Or we need to find another solution.
>>
>> Just a wild guess, can you check if there are other mkpasswd's available?
>> ls -l /bin/mkpasswd /usr/bin/mkpasswd /sbin/mkpasswd /usr/sbin/mkpasswd
>>
>> A workaround for you is to change buildroot to remove the -m thing,
>> but it's better if we fix it completely, I think.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Thomas
>
> There is no other mkpasswd on my slackware box. The only one comes from
> the expect package. Would you please where to change the '-m' in
> buildroot and how?  Thanks.

In system/system.mk, if you change line

TARGET_GENERIC_ROOT_PASSWD_HASH = $(shell mkpasswd -m
"$(TARGET_GENERIC_PASSWD_METHOD)" "$(TARGET_GENERIC_ROOT_PASSWD)")

in

TARGET_GENERIC_ROOT_PASSWD_HASH = $(shell mkpasswd
"$(TARGET_GENERIC_ROOT_PASSWD)")

I guess it will work for you. But this is not an acceptable final solution.

Input from others would be great here.