[Buildroot] [RFC] ti-gfx: add new package

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 20:58:57 UTC 2013

Dear Thomas:

Behind my comments is the issue of TI's practices and I hope we dont
make it worse by tweaking buildroot in an unusual direction, but I
will, as usual, follow your lead.

My perspective is from working with the TI AM3517_evm for the last
year. One of the issues is the fact that TI supplies their kernel
source out-of-tree as a distribution release. As a consequence no one
cannot expect kernel.org kernels to work properly for at least this
reference design.  That is, the TI kernel modifications never made it
into the mainline kernel, so we have a non-kernel.org situation to
start with. This should cause buildroot to tread carefully unless we
also get the patches from TI that change a standard kernel into a
TI-special kernel.

On the Graphics_SDK, since this is a product that TI releases along
with their kernel from time-to-time. Since this is also not an
opensource project, I have some angst with patching the released
Graphics_SDK. This doesnt make any sense to me since this product
along with the kernel are releases from TI.

So, I guess the key issue is mixing distribution releases from a
vendor with traditional, well-known opensource projects and how
buildroot can best move forward.

--
Charles Krinke