[Buildroot] Changes in the Buildroot autobuilders

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Jun 18 06:21:17 UTC 2013

On 17/06/13 19:54, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> On 2013-06-17 11:20 -0500, Spenser Gilliland spake thusly:
>> >Are we sure we want to add more variables to the .mk files.  One of
>> >Buildroot's main differentiators is the cleanliness of these files in
>> >comparison to other packaging methods.

  +1

  At least on the short term, the number of maintainers will be small and
the number of packages per maintainer will be large. Some maintainers
will also be fairly ephemeral - e.g. Maxime added support for systemd a
year ago, but probably by now he doesn't consider himself a maintainer of
it anymore. Also the rules may be a little more complex than based on
package name.

  So I think a nice solution would be to add a script in support/scripts
that explicitly encodes all the maintainers - maintainers can add
themselves with patches (just like in the kernel). The a.b.o would fetch
the script once a day just before sending out its daily mails, and call
it with everything it knows about the build failure set in the environment.

>> >As an alternative, this information could be pulled from the git log
>> >and anyone who has made a change to the package directory in the past
>> >would be subscribed to errors.
> No, I am not in favour of this solution.
>
> Being a 'maintainer' should be voluntary, opt-in, and explicit.

  +1 too.

  However, Spenser points out in another mail:

> I think many people would like to know if something they did may have
> triggered a bug, not just the maintainer of the package.

  I could agree with sending mails automatically to the authors of a
package commit if the commit was done in the last week or so.

  Regards,
  Arnout