[Buildroot] Randomization of kconfig choices?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jun 18 17:19:48 UTC 2013

Dear Yann E. MORIN,

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 19:15:08 +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

> > Aren't there some people that know better the history of this kconfig
> > that would be able to help?
>
> It seems no one knowledgeable is willing to invest time in this.

Yeah, that's unfortunate :-(

> There was someone (Sam?) who said he'd look, but that was over a month
> ago, and he did not reply to my last mail. :-/
>
> I have a small idea at the back of my mind that I have to put to
> testing.

Great!

> I /may/ put you to contribution later tonight, mind you! ;-)

I will most likely not be available later tonight, but tomorrow I can
do some testing of whatever you came up with!

> > It seems like you're now more-or-less the
> > only one patching this stuff.
>
> Oh, no. There have been a few new-comers lately who did provide some
> further (good) fixes to things we were not even aware of.

Being on the linux-kbuild list, I've seen those contributions, but many
of them are mostly on the surface, not hacking the low levels of the
kconfig magic.

> I was even recently directed to a collection of kconfig patches from a
> completely unrelated project (but somehow similar in spirit to what
> Buildroot is, only to a much smaller scale).

Interesting.

> There are good things there, and we're trying to shape them before
> submitting (that won't be in 3.10, and probably not even in 3.11 since
> it will probably not be ready before the next merge window, I'm afraid).

Yeah, 3.11 is approaching!

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons