[Buildroot] using a variable within a buildroot menuconfig

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Jun 25 17:39:17 UTC 2013

On 25/06/13 09:58, Jan Pohanka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have another /weird/ question.
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to create an item in configuration
> which will for example contain some (absolute) path on my filesystem.
> Then I would like to use this variable for example in --extra-cflags
> configure option for applications like ffmpeg etc.

  I'm afraid that I don't understand your question. string type
configuration variables can contain any kind of string, including paths
of files. This is used for instance in BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_CONFIG_FILE.

  Specifically for ffmpeg, however, there is already the
BR2_PACKAGE_FFMPEG_EXTRACONF option. You can just set that to
--extra-cflags '-fPIC -DMY_DEFINE' (note the funky quoting, which I'm not
100% sure will work correctly).

> I know that it is not very nice way, but I need to integrate buildroot
> with Texas Instruments SDK, which is not very GNU build tools friendy.

  I wonder what you mean with the TI SDK. You probably mean you have to
use _some packages_ that are in the 700MB self-extractor, right? Because
the SDK itself is in fact a replacement for buildroot (or buildroot is a
replacement for the SDK, depending on how you want to look at it :-).

  Getting that stuff to work is absolute horror, I can testify. I did
that a year and a half ago for the DM365 multimedia codecs, but I never
found a reasonable solution to extract and build individual packages.

  Regards,
  Arnout