[Buildroot] how does buildroot avoid requireing root?

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 01:49:03 UTC 2013

Its done with the "fakeroot" scripts. Google that and you can see how root
filesystem builders like buildroot work that piece of magic.

It became impractical to build root file systems for embedded targets a few
years ago when folks started using shared servers that had no root access,
amongst other reasons.

Charles