[Buildroot] Understanding the automake beast better

Olivier Schonken olivier.schonken at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 13:19:58 UTC 2013

Hi

I'm currently working on gutenprint(fornerly gimp-print) for buildroot.  I
can get the drivers and filters to build by splitting the build process
into a host and target component, and copying files generated for the host
part during build time to the target. (xml files - thus not architecture
dependant)
This seems like a sub-optimal solution to me.

Question: Is there an elegant way to force automake to add an auxiliary
compiler to the make process, and use this for certain
parts of the package that need to be run during build time (editing
Makefile.ac files etc.)?  For example.  The drivers are being compiled for
an arm processor, but to be able to run the
program that generates ppd files, that program has to be compiled for the
host architecture and not the target architecture.  It seems that automake
configures the compiler in the package root directory, and then building
the programs in subdirectories according to a list, I just can't figure
out how to tell it to compile the subdirectories with a different compiler
such as the host machine compiler.

I know cross-compiling is not an exact science, but maybe someone has run
into the same issues before, and can shed a little more light on it for me.

Thanks and regards

Olivier Schonken