[Buildroot] What to do about systemd/udev/eudev?

Stefan Fröberg stefan.froberg at petroprogram.com
Mon Mar 4 18:12:29 UTC 2013

4.3.2013 12:53, Lionel Orry kirjoitti:
> Another note, Funtoo Linux (a gentoo derivative) team is experimenting
> with usage of mdev as a complete udev replacement for the whole
> distro. It seems to work and tries to prove the scalability of mdev
> which sounds promising. Here are some files resulting from these
> attempts:
>
> - mdev from busybox configured for funtoo (1 tiny patch and simple
> configuration in the ebuild):
> https://github.com/slashbeast/foo-overlay/tree/master/sys-fs/mdev-bb
> - repository for notes and mdev config/init scripts (may be worth a
> look at mdev.conf and mdev.init):
> https://github.com/slashbeast/mdev-like-a-boss
>
> What I wanna say, is that it *may* sound reasonable to strongly
> suggest people to stick with mdev as much as they can.
>
> Cheers
> Lionel

Yes, I for one can confirm that if you don't need anything else than to
populate /dev with nodes and maybe few
symlinks then mdev is perfectly fine.

I have run buildroot xorg with mdev without any problems.

*But* ... (and this is a big but) I have not tested how it reacts to
kernel events after boot when you *plug/unplug* devices and if mdev
is capable of *running programs/scripts when some event happens*.

If Funtoo can make it work and make it also work seamlessly with all the
other crazy stuff (network-manager, and some other
gnome stuff) then I will kick out udev from my system in a nanosecond :-)

Regards
Stefan