[Buildroot] What to do about systemd/udev/eudev?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Mar 4 18:21:56 UTC 2013

Dear Stefan Fröberg,

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 20:12:29 +0200, Stefan Fröberg wrote:

> *But* ... (and this is a big but) I have not tested how it reacts to
> kernel events after boot when you *plug/unplug* devices and if mdev
> is capable of *running programs/scripts when some event happens*.

mdev is capable of running programs/scripts when some event happens,
even after boot time. I've already used this capability to notify an
application when a USB input device is added/removed from the system,
or to trigger a system upgrade when a USB key is inserted.

However, if an application relies on libudev to get notifications of
devices appearing/disappearing, or other services, then of course, it
cannot work with mdev.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons