[Buildroot] What to do about systemd/udev/eudev?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Mar 5 09:53:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 21:17:43 +0100
Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:

> Why the heck would people caring about every KB use udev in the first
> place? Once again, we already have static /dev, devtmpfs and mdev
> support, and those are *way* more lightweight than udev.

Ok, i might have exagerated. But still, systemd is a lot more heavyweight
than standard sysV init. Not to talk about the added complexity that
has very little benefit, especialy for embedded systems.

> > So, to come back to the original issue, i would say just freeze the current
> > version and wait a couple of months until it either becomes clear what will
> > happen or incompatibilites force you to upgrade.
>
> Our udev version is 182, released March 2012, almost a year ago.
> Our systemd version is 44, released March 2012, almost a year ago.
>
> I think we've already waited 12 months. Isn't that enough?

Uhmm.. oh..kay...

I don't know, 1 year is a damn long time in opensource. And yes,
I agree that there should be an update soonish. But forcing people
to either use an old Buildroot release or to swallow systemd isn't
a very nice prospect either.

All of that being said, I'm not a developer, so please regard this
as only my opinion as a mere user. I'm not trying to push the decision
in any way or other.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin