[Buildroot] IOzone license questions

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Mar 12 23:32:33 UTC 2013

On 03/12/13 19:10, Gilles Talis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> These questions are for the license experts out there.
> I would like to add IOzone as a new package to buildroot. Problem is
> that IOzone license is quite restrictive.
> Here's the main part:
>
> License to freely use and distribute this software is hereby granted
>    by the author, subject to the condition that this copyright notice
>    remains intact.  The author retains the exclusive right to publish
>    derivative works based on this work, including, but not limited to,
>    revised versions of this work.
>

> My questions are the following:
> - Is it OK to add this package to buildroot, despite its restrictive license?

  Yes. But it means that we are not allowed to add cross-compilation
patches... So we'll probably have to add a bunch of 'depends on' conditions.

  I propose something like

IOZONE_LICENSE = IOZone license (NO DERIVED WORKS ALLOWED)

> - The text of the license is not provided with the source code, but is
> available on IOzone website.
> Should I point to the website link in the package makefile?
> e.g. IOZONE_LICENSE_FILES = http://www.iozone.org/docs/Iozone_License.txt
> Or should I leave it to the user to go and find it on his own?

  Unfortunately, URLs don't work for LICENSE_FILES. So just add a comment
in the .mk file pointing to the URL.

  Regards,
  Arnout