[Buildroot] Interest in upgrading syslinux to 5.x?

Daniel Price daniel.price at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 18:10:26 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:
> On 20/03/13 13:29, Will Moore wrote:
>>
>> It might help to see what Arnout is up to with his grub2 patch which is
>> also
>> looking at providing a bootloader with host and target tools.  See
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/191813/
>

>  That patch has been sitting in the freezer :-)
>
>  As you can see from the corresponding mail thread, there is no convergence
> about what to call the two variants of a bootloader. It's a bit like gcc:
> the normal variant builds an installer running on the host, but it includes
> binary code for the target; the other variant is completely running on the
> target.
>
>  Note that for u-boot, the chosen solution is to create a completely
> separate package uboot-tools for the target. But it's a bit a special case,
> because mkimage is not an installer.

Thanks Arnout,

For my purposes, I wound up wanting both the host- and the target-
tools, and, like you did with grub2 (IIRC), I opted to make syslinux5
a normal package so I could drive both host and target builds.

I will post my patch as a reference for others when I have a chance to
clean it up slightly.  At least it might save someone else some work,
as it took a fair amount of experimentation to get it to work.

      -dp

--
Daniel.Price at gmail.com; Twitter: @danielbprice