[Buildroot] Student for the Google Summer of Code, hardware donations needed

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat May 25 20:15:41 UTC 2013

Hello all,

As we have already discussed on this list, Buildroot was a candidate
project for the Google Summer of Code and has been selected as an
organization. We have then proposed one project idea (and only one for
this first participation of Buildroot to GSoC).

In total, we received 8 submissions. Three of them were completely
out-of-topic, people not having read the project idea (just to give you
an idea, the title of such submissions were things like "A PEN DRIVE
WITH MALE AND FEMALE USB PORTS" or "working on linux ubuntu").

Amongst the five remaining submissions, two of them originated from
people really not having enough experience with Embebdded Linux, and
absolutely no experience with Buildroot.

We had three remaining submissions, from Alexander Varnin, Victor
Hiairrassary and Spenser Gilliland. They had all already posted a few
patches to Buildroot, so were interesting candidates. After reviewing
their submissions, and having a few discussions, we (a group of core
Buildroot developers, Peter Korsgaard, Arnout Vandecappelle, Gustavo
Zacarias, Yann E. Morin, Thomas De Schampheleire and myself) decided to
select Spenser Gilliland. As you've probably seen, even though the GSoC
period has not started yet, Spenser has appeared on IRC, has already
posted a number of interesting patches, and he will participate to
tomorrow's Patchwork Day.

However, the selection of Spenser and its participation to GSoC is not
completely official yet. On May 27th, at 7 PM UTC, Google will
officially announce the selected student.

Throughout Spenser's GSoC, which will last until the end of September,
you can keep track of the progress at
http://elinux.org/Buildroot:GSoC2013_ARM_Multimedia (the page is mostly
empty for now, it will soon be filled in).

In order to allow Spenser to work on the support of ARM multimedia
features (OpenGL, OpenVG, EGL, accelerated video encoding/decoding,
etc.), we need a number of hardware platforms. He already has a
Rasberry Pi, we have found sponsors to provide OMAP3/OMAP4/AM335x based
platforms and i.MX5/i.MX6 platforms. We intend to buy him an Allwinner
A1x based platform and an Exynos 4 based platforms.

If you see other interesting platforms to support and/or if you (or
your company) is willing to sponsor an hardware platform for this GSoC,
we would definitely be interested. Do not hesitate to contact me about
this.

Best regards,

Thomas Petazzoni
--