[Buildroot] Smallish rootfs for wm8505 netbook

Peter Faasse p.faase1 at chello.nl
Thu May 2 07:00:49 UTC 2013

Hi,

With varying degrees of success, i've been building buildroot based rootfs-s,
toolchains and kernel images. All part of a hacking project with a few wm8505
(armv5) based netbooks.

I'm attempting to use buildroot to build a rootfs & kernel that i can use to
do some native development on the machines. The first set of bugs where no
doubt caused by my own incompetence and learning curve, but there are one or
two issues that i think are relevent for a wider audience.

For reference, the target architecture is arm926t; Host is a Slackware-13.37
x86_64 machine; I'been using both the 2013.02 release of buildroot and the
git-version as extracted yesterday. I let buildroot itself generate the
toolchain (no croostool-ng etc..). I did manage to generate a few working
toolchains, kernel uImages and rootfs.tar images, and i'm in the process of
generating a fully satisfactory set of target files. But:

1) If i enable c++ support the toolchain, the build of the rootfs will fail
because of a lack of UCLIBC_HAS_FENV (fenv.h not found). This can easily be
remedied using make uclibc-menuconfig after configuring buildroot ('Target
Architecture Features and Options'-->'Enable C99 Floating-point environment'),
but i think it would make sense if that option is -if possible- automatically
enabled by activating this uclibc option when c++ support is enabled in
buildroot itself.

2) I do include the obsolete 'toolchain on the target'. The resulting gcc on-
target is by default not usable because glibc.so (a linker script it seems) is
not copied to the on-target directory. This can be remedied by adding *.so to
the support/scripts/copy.sh, but i'm not quite sure if that has any side-
effects.

All-in-all i'm having lots of fun with buildroot... :-)

greetings,

Peter Faasse