[Buildroot] Startup files numbering policy

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue May 21 20:17:07 UTC 2013

Dear Benoît Thébaudeau,

On Tue, 21 May 2013 21:31:02 +0200 (CEST), Benoît Thébaudeau wrote:

> So far, BuildRoot has always used arbitrary Sxx numbers for the startup files in
> /etc/init.d/, e.g. S91smb in the samba package. Depending on each board needs,
> these numbers might be more or less appropriate for the startup order. Do you
> plan to add a mechanism to choose non-default custom numbering for those
> scripts, or do you have a policy such as "It's up to each board to run
> post-build scripts for such adjustments."?

I don't think we will want a mechanism to customize that, a post-build
script is definitely appropriate.

However, we could clarify, adjust and/or document the current numbering
policy, in order to make it clearer and more usable.

What specific problems do you have with the current numbering? Would a
change in the numbering policy solve those problems?

So far, in the projects I've done, I don't remember having issues with
the numbering policy used by Buildroot. I just added my own scripts, at
different levels, and the scripts installed by Buildroot were living
enough "free" numbers at various stages in the initialization to do
whatever I needed. But it is very well possible that I didn't come
across the cases you have in your project.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons