[Buildroot] Startup files numbering policy

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed May 22 07:33:04 UTC 2013

Dear Benoît Thébaudeau,

On Wed, 22 May 2013 00:08:40 +0200 (CEST), Benoît Thébaudeau wrote:

> Maybe. This is what I had done. I mostly wanted to know if you would add a
> mechanism for that, which you answered. E.g., PTXdist has a config option with a
> default value giving the file name to use for each startup script.

I'm not sure we want to have a config option for each and every init
script. Especially since with systemd, you have a unit file rather than
an init script, so we would have to handle this as well.

I think having a default sane numbering is good enough, since we allow
the users to customize whatever they want using post-build scripts.

Note that I'm not saying the current numbering is perfect, it could be
clarified, with a bit documentation saying "from number X to Y, it's
basic services that are not network dependent", "from Y to Z, it's this
type of services, etc.". I'm just talking about the general approach of
just having a default numbering, and leaving the rest of the
customization to post-build scripts.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons