[Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #2 (deadline November 17)

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 11:17:30 UTC 2013

Hi Arnout,

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:
> On 01/11/13 16:09, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> linux: add default defconfig
>> Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/181185
>

>  This one didn't receive positive feedback, so I guess it's rejected. Short
> recap: it allows you to build the kernel with the architecture's default
> defconfig, which is typically a bloaty configuration that supports many
> boards (if an appropriate device tree is present). IIRC the feedback was
> that this wasn't usually appropriate for buildroot use cases.

One annoyance I have is that if you want to quickly test something
(for example when reviewing patches) and you enable a Linux kernel,
you also have to specify a defconfig. Your patch would fix that use
case. In such a test case, I typically don't care what is included in
the kernel, because I would only compile-test.
But I can also follow ThomasP's comments on that patch.
There was a suggestion in case of x86 though, which in many cases
would be ok for me in the above scenario. I wouldn't be against having
just that...