[Buildroot] Analysis of build failures

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sun Nov 10 10:46:39 UTC 2013

Dear Simon Dawson,

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:32:29 +0000, Simon Dawson wrote:

> > The missing TLS problem on AVR32. We still haven't found the solution
> > to handle this one. As I've suggested previously, I would simply make
> > TLS support unconditional in Buildroot as soon as thread support is
> > enabled, and then mark libcap-ng as not available on AVR32. Of course,
> > if you have an external toolchain without TLS support, you're on your
> > own.
>
> As you say, we still don't appear to have reached a consensus of
> opinion on how to solve this.

Peter, can we agree on the following solution for this:

 (1) Remove BR2_GCC_ENABLE_TLS, and enable TLS support unconditionally,
     except when thread support is not enabled.

 (2) Everywhere, assume that TLS support is always available when we
     have thread support. If it's not the case (such as AVR32), mark
     the package as "depends on !<architecture>".

Another solution is to add a config knob for the external toolchains.

> >>      avr32 |              util-linux-2.23.2 | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/2ba1bd78f4303ef2f543a4e4fa65d1b68ba3a765/
> >
> > Missing fallocate on avr32. Simon, what is the proposal to solve this?
> > Add fallocate support to 0.9.31 ?
>
> Yes, I'm working on backporting fallocate support to 0.9.31 now.

Great.

> >>      avr32 |                   zeromq-3.2.4 | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/5cdf3e58df0df184f2ae1f2896c44f3f0f41c94d/
> >
> > Missing compiler intrinsics on AVR32. Problem already in the process of
> > being solved (Simon, Alexander).
>
> I think Alexander's patches have been applied now.

Yes.

> >>        arm | zmqpp-31220ca4a0fb43a0848d7... | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/64494152b75037a1194312a2a408eb7ecb6b56c8/
> >>        arm | zmqpp-31220ca4a0fb43a0848d7... | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/75f2cc531892e649599681433f62a1d76e5736c9/
> >>        arm | zmqpp-31220ca4a0fb43a0848d7... | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/65783df07ebb447f7561cb84b1bcf581a3084748/
> >>        arm | zmqpp-31220ca4a0fb43a0848d7... | NOK | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/14d441c5f3a50f61cd5a872711d09fda4e5f8bbd/
> >
> > Forgets to link against pthread. Simon, can you link into this?
>
> Yes, I'll have a look when I get a chance.

Thanks!

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons