[Buildroot] Help to fix Microblaze issues in Buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Nov 20 14:09:20 UTC 2013

Dear Alvaro Gamez,

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 14:56:17 +0100, Alvaro Gamez wrote:

> The bad news is that Spenser's patches require some work. Most of it
> is easy and I've already done it myself, I can resubmit these patches
> with the little changes I made to have it fully working.

Did you realize that Spenser patches apply on top of the patches from
Mischa Jonker?

> However, there's a detail that affects other buildroot parts.
>
>  gcc.mk file requires the source code to be downloaded as a .tar.bz2
> file.
>
> However, the new github helper is only able to download .tar.gz
> files. I don't think this is due to the new github helper but to
> github itself, that only provides gziped versions of its files.
>
> gcc.mk defines HOST_GCC_EXTRACT_CMDS as:
>
>         $(BZCAT) $(DL_DIR)/$(GCC_SOURCE) | \
>                 $(TAR) $(TAR_STRIP_COMPONENTS)=1 -C $(@D) \
>                 --exclude='libjava/*' \
>                 --exclude='libgo/*' \
>                 --exclude='gcc/testsuite/*' \
>                 --exclude='libstdc++-v3/testsuite/*' \
>                 $(TAR_OPTIONS) -
>         mkdir -p $(@D)/libstdc++-v3/testsuite/
>         echo "all:" > $(@D)/libstdc++-v3/testsuite/Makefile.in
>         echo "install:" >> $(@D)/libstdc++-v3/testsuite/Makefile.in
>
> So... now I have the question:
>
> Is it necessary to manually invoke bzcat? Why don't we let tar deal
> with the matter of deciding which uncompresser to use, since it now
> by defaults can detect it without the need to pass any 'z' or 'j'
> parameter?

For example, this specific problem is solved by Mischa Jonker
patches. See http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/290981/.

See also the cover letter from Spenser at
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2013-November/082590.html,
which explains what are the dependencies of his patch series.

Which other problems have you seen?

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons