[Buildroot] [v4 1/2] luainterpreter: create virtual package

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Oct 1 07:31:22 UTC 2013

Dear François Perrad,

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 09:27:48 +0200, François Perrad wrote:

> A version for a virtual package is not mandatory.
> A virtual package is used to create a OR dependency.
> With luainterpreter, a Lua module (LuaSocket for example) depends on
> lua OR on luajit.
> Both Lua 5.1.5 and LuaJIT 2.0.2 provides a Lua 5.1 ABI/API compatible
> interpreter.
> The only effect of setting LUAINTERPRETER_VERSION is the name of the
> directory 'build/luainterpreter-5.1' instead of
> 'build/luainterpreter-undefined'.

Ok, makes sense.

> I don't like name containing 'undefined', but I'll be fine with a BR
> convention what says :
>   - all virtual packages use 'virtual' as version.

I probably haven't thought about all the implications, but it indeed
looks like an interesting suggestion. Virtual packages are anyway
something that we should progressively formalize through a new section
in the documentation.

> I've already did some experiments with the Lua 5.2 serie in my own
> repository, see https://github.com/fperrad/br/tree/lua5.2

So should we package Lua 5.1 and 5.2 separately, because Lua modules
are only compatible with 5.1 or 5.2, or can we keep the same package
for both Lua versions?

Thanks!

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons