[Buildroot] Some legal-info observations/problems

Danomi Manchego danomimanchego123 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 13:42:55 UTC 2013

Ryan,

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Ryan Barnett
<rjbarnet at rockwellcollins.com> wrote:
>> While I don't need the URL for my process, I currently also don't need
>> the name of the tarball in manifest.csv (and I leave out this last
>> column anyway). So, I'm not opposed to adding this extra column, but
>> there may be some caveats: with the OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism it is
>> possible for a project to completely change the sources of an existing
>> package in buildroot. Strictly speaking this could mean that there is
>> no relation whatsoever between the URL specified in the .mk file and
>> the actual sources used. This is probably very exotic, though, and
>> maybe it doesn't really matter for your process.
>
> You bring up an interesting point that I never thought of. However, in
> the application of OVERRIDE_SRCDIR, I would think that it mainly intended
> for company's application but I could be wrong.

FWIW, several of our projects regularly use permanent OVERRIDE_SRCDIR
settings to compile exploded copies of uboot and xloader checked into
our source control system, rather than maintain patches against some
off-upstream vendor tarball; it's just easier than educating the folks
in remote offices about patching.