[Buildroot] Booting problem for Beaglebone

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Oct 9 11:55:01 UTC 2013

Dear AUBERT alain,

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 11:17:22 +0200, AUBERT alain wrote:

> We use Beaglebone board and the lastest version of buildroot 2013.08.1.
>
> We launch/make toolchain/ and/make/ without change options in
> menuconfig, linux-menuconfig, ...

Well, if you don't use a beaglebone configuration, how can you expect
things to work? If you have a classic BeagleBone (i.e the white
BeagleBone, not the newer black one), you should do:

	make clean
	make beaglebone_defconfig
	make

Also not that running "make toolchain" prior to running "make" is not
needed.

> We program the SD card .
> When the beaglebone board powers up,  the default configuration of Uboot
> takes the kernel at /boot/uImage but the default filesystem generated by
> buildroot  doesn't include the /boot directory.
> So, we change in menuconfig,  the option "Install kernel image to /boot
> in target"
>
> Then, the kernel is well loaded but the kernel tries to mount the root
> filesystem, it doesn't find
> /dev/mmcblk0p2. The message is:
> "Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2 ..."
>
> It seems that the only block peripherals detected were ram and loop but
> not mmcblk

The kernel boot arguments (defined at the bootloader level) tell the
kernel that the root filesystem is in the second partition of the SD
card. Which apparently isn't the case since this device never shows up.
You should make your SD card has two partitions, the first one with the
bootloader, and the second one with the root filesystem.

Also, can you post the complete boot log, so that we can see in more
details what's going on?

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons