[Buildroot] using a local package file : why copy it to the dl directory ?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Oct 9 16:02:28 UTC 2013

On 10/09/13 00:19, Sagaert Johan wrote:
> Hi
>

> I noticed when using SITE_METHOD = file, the package is copied to the download directory.
> Is this needed, since the package is already on our local filesystem ?

  It seems the other two repliers missed your point :-)

  There is no fundamental need to copy it. However, it makes buildroot a
lot simpler. In many places there are direct references to DL_DIR (just
grep for that variable); in case of a file SITE_METHOD, you'd have to use
$(PKG)_SITE instead of DL_DIR.

  It is possible to use hardlinking or symlinking instead of copying.
Buildroot provides the BR2_LOCALFILES config option for that (in Build
options -> Commands). Just set that to "ln" for hard linking or "ln -s"
for symlinking.

  Regards,
  Arnout