[Buildroot] make-4.0

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Thu Oct 10 17:29:40 UTC 2013

Peter, All,

On 2013-10-10 13:01 +0200, Peter Korsgaard spake thusly:
>  François> GNU make 4.0 has been released (see
>  François> http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7749).
>  François> This version introduces only 1 backward-incompatibility (instead of 7
>  François> with version 3.82).
>  François> See below, an extracted part of the file NEWS.
>
>  François>   WARNING: Backward-incompatibility!
>
>  François>   Variables ending in "!" previously defined as "variable!=
>  François>   value" will now be interpreted as shell assignment.  Change
>  François>   your assignment to add whitespace between the "!" and "=":
>  François>   "variable! = value"
>
> We luckily don't have any of those:
>
> git grep '[^ ]!=' **/*.mk

Well, whoever was mental enough to use '!' in variable names deserves
the breakage anyway! :-)

But hopefully, make-4.0 won't be such a pain make-3.82 was. What flew in
the GNU folks to release a highly backward-incompatible version as a
minor release? Seriously? Even if it fixed undocumented limitations, it
really broke more than a handfull of projects, of which high-profile
projects like the Linux kernel or the glibc. And I don't count the
others. Oh well... Sigh... :-(

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.