[Buildroot] [git commit] toolchain-external: update Linaro ARM toolchain

Luca Ceresoli luca at lucaceresoli.net
Fri Oct 11 09:01:56 UTC 2013

Thomas, Arnout,

Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,
>
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 08:53:49 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>
>>    I believe I asked this before: do we really want to remove external
>> toolchains without going through a deprecation cycle? Why do we offer in
>> a released buildroot three different Linaro toolchain versions that are
>> all gcc 4.8 and that you cannot use anymore three months later?
>
> Linaro toolchains are released every month, so they are moving quickly.
> What are you proposing to do to handle this?
>
> Have just a BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_LINARO_ARM option, which maps
> automatically to the latest version of the toolchain, like we do for
> packages?
>
> Or do you suggest to preserve toolchains? For how long?
>
> Until now, the arbitrarily chosen policy was to keep only three
> versions of a given toolchain. For Sourcery CodeBench toolchains, I
> believe it works quite well because the frequency of releases is not
> too high. However, it's true that for Linaro toolchains, it may not be
> appropriate, but I'm not sure what to do exactly.

I also would like toolchains to be maintained in BR a little longer, at
least one year.

Of course maintaining 12 Linaro toolchains would be quite annoying and
probably useless.

So we may want to add only those Linaro toolchains that have relevant
changes, say they upgrade gcc or provide some shiny new feature. But
this may be risky: a newly introduced feature is more likely to be
buggy. So... how about the 2nd or 3rd release after a relevant change?
Uhm, quite fuzzy indeed.

Or, more simply, add only one Linaro toolchain per each Buildroot release.

--
Luca