[Buildroot] Bumping packages: some comments/suggestions

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Oct 14 09:30:00 UTC 2013

Dear Jeremy Rosen,

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 09:40:46 +0200 (CEST), Jeremy Rosen wrote:

> two ideas that might or might not be good ideas but are worth discussing
> early :
>
> * try to automatically build the new version to see if it is an "easy
> bump" or a "hard bump" and document the result
>
> * ping the last person(s) that touch the package (git has facilities to
> find them, I think it's called git-contribute) when a new version is
> available
>
> both have good and bad sides, thus worth discussing...

Agreed. But all of this first requires the ability to detect that a new
version is available.

I must say I'm not a big fan of the automatic build, which may
encourage people to do "careless" bump, i.e version bumps without
looking at least a little bit at what changed, and taking a set back by
looking at the version number, or the project web site, to see if the
version bump is small, or major.

For the second one, I agree. We have discussed a few times having the
notion of package maintainers. Probably something that will be worth
discussing at this time.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons