[Buildroot] About user support and the mailing list

Jeremy Rosen jeremy.rosen at openwide.fr
Tue Oct 15 13:16:23 UTC 2013

> One of the advantages of a unified list is that new users also are
> 'exposed' to development, and are hopefully more likely to contribute
> too. There is no 'development elite' in this model.
> At the same time, a unified list also encourages developers to help
> users. It's not possible to subscribe to 'only the developer list'.

hmm, compared to most FOSS projects I know buildroot is a bit special...

There is no clear separation between users and developers as far as
knowledge is concerned. All users should be able to compile stuff
know about cross compilers and installing firmwares. So doing a
separate -user vs -dev mailing list makes less sense her.

However I would like to have a separate -discuss an -patch mailing
list, one of them being for patch+reviews+commit messages and the
other one being for actual discussions.

That would separate the high traffic/fast reading parts from the
low traffic/philosophical discussion parts.

The important part is that mose people (everybody?) should logically
subscribe to both, but mail filtering etc... would be much simpler.