[Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Build results for 2013-10-14

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Oct 15 17:31:07 UTC 2013

Dear Michael Rommel,

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:16:16 +0200, Michael Rommel wrote:

> I had a look at this error and tried to compare that with currently
> running builds. As far as I can see, a default build on a i586 with
> the included toolchain works fine and does not need linking with
> libpcre. Also a nm on the mentioned file (sysroot/usr/lib/crt1.o)
> reveals no _gp symbol on an i586 whereas with the external nios
> toolchain, _gp is referenced as symbol.
>
> rommel at pelican:/var/nfs/software/initrds/uclibc/buildroot-clean-i586/host/usr/i586-buildroot-linux-uclibc/sysroot/usr/lib$
> nm crt1.o 00000000 D __data_start
>          U __uClibc_main
>          U _fini
>          U _init
> 00000000 T _start
> 00000000 W data_start
>          U main
>
> Yes, if I include -lpcre on the linker line, the nios2 compile
> completes, but I have no way of testing, whether the result works. I
> also could not find any direct dependency from aiccu to the pcre,
> neither a function call that starts with pcre_, nor an inclusion of a
> pcre.h header file. And, yes, If I include -lpcre on the commandline,
> also the resulting i586 binary works, but unless someone convinces me
> that his is really a missing dependency of aiccu, I am hesitant to
> change anything right now, as most other builds went okay.
>
> I tend to think, that this is a problem not related to aiccu, but if
> anyone else can confirm this, I fell better :-)

I do agree that blindly linking with pcre does not seem like a good
option. A quick Google search about NIOS and gp indicates that gp is a
special register used to access global data. So I believe this _gp
symbol is more likely related to some toolchain internals rather than
to pcre.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons