[Buildroot] About user support and the mailing list

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Oct 16 21:56:18 UTC 2013

On 15/10/13 21:44, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >  >> That would separate the high traffic/fast reading parts from the
>> >  >> low traffic/philosophical discussion parts.
>> >
>> >  Ryan> I really like this idea as I believe it fits well with how this
>> >  Ryan> FOSS project works. The majority of the emails are related to
>> >  Ryan> patches and discussion surrounding them. I usually glance through
>> >  Ryan> these emails since I don't necessarily have time to read through
>> >  Ryan> all of the patches.  So by having this separation would be nice
>> >  Ryan> as that way I don't accidentally glance over a philosophical
>> >  Ryan> discussion such as this.
>> >
>> >The problem is that these things are rarely nicely seperated. This
>> >thread started as a reply to a patch submission.
> This is not necessarily a big problem. If a discussion occurs on the
> 'patch' mailing list that is no longer directly related with the
> actual patch, we should at least put the 'discussion' mailing list in
> copy (or use only that list). In the beginning this can be odd, but
> it's something we can learn.

  I was first against the -patch / -discuss split for the same reasons as
Peter's, but as you say, it's easy to add -discuss to a reply.

  If this split goes through, I'd keep buildroot at busybox.net as the
-discuss list and create a new one for patches.

  Patchwork should probably listen to both, since people will (certainly
in the beginning) still send patches to the normal list.

  Regards,
  Arnout