[Buildroot] Reproducing Autobuild errors

Anirudha Bose ani07nov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 16:14:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire <
patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Anirudha,
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Anirudha Bose <ani07nov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone.
> >
> > This is the first time I am posting in this mailing list so I would like
> > introduce myself first. My name is Anirudha Bose, and I am an
> undergraduate
> > student doing my major in Computer Science. I am specifically interested
> in
> > contributing to Buildroot because I have done some similar work using M
> > Cross Environment (MXE) during Google Summer of Code 2013.
>
> Welcome! We're looking forward to your contributions...
>

> > For a start I am trying to fix some Autobuild errors. For example if I am
> > trying to fix this error [1]. Here are the steps I did to reproduce the
> > error on my machine.
> >
> > 1. Downloaded the config file and saved it as .config in my buildroot
> dir.
> > 2. Downloaded the Power PC 603e toolchain from this [2] link.
> > 3. I still don't know where to extract and keep this tarball; and what
> > should be the path in the .config file. I also do not know what to do
> with
> > the defconfig file. Should I save it as .defconfig in the buildroot dir?
> > 4. make
>
> We currently have two sources of autobuild results, one from Peter and
> one from Thomas Petazzoni. The autobuild you are referring to is from
> Peter (see the file 'submitter' in the autobuild directory). In these,
> the toolchain is not configured as a 'toolchain to be downloaded'
> (which is the case for Thomas Petazzoni's autobuild results).
>
> In the last case (Thomas Petazzoni), you don't have to download the
> tarball manually. In this case, the easiest way (according to me) to
> reproduce an autobuild failure is to download the defconfig file, and
> start from that. For example:
>
> cd <your-buildroot-repo>
> wget
> http://autobuild.buildroot.org/results/912/91289fc77e7dc7ed6342414df91c35d78d7eabc2/defconfig
> make defconfig BR2_DEFCONFIG=defconfig
> <make menuconfig, or edit .config: you will need to change BR2_DL_DIR
> to point to something local)
> make
>
> In the case of Peter's autobuild, the above steps will be the same,
> except that you will indeed have to download the toolchain, extract it
> to some location, and update the .config file to point to that
> location in option BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH. After that you can hit
> 'make'.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

I am however facing some problems getting the right toolchain. Here is what
I did:

1. Downloaded the toolchain from
http://autobuild.buildroot.net/toolchains/tarballs/
2. Extracted it to the location
/home/ani/Downloads/br-powerpc-603e-basic-cpp-2013.05-1/
3. In the .config file I edited this:
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH="/home/ani/Downloads/br-powerpc-603e-basic-cpp-2013.05-1"
4. make toolchain trace-cmd

After this I get the following error:

>>> toolchain-external undefined Configuring
Cannot execute cross-compiler
'/home/ani/Downloads/br-powerpc-603e-basic-cpp-2013.05-1/bin/powerpc-linux-gcc'

I think I am using the wrong toolchain. Can you tell me what is the problem?

- Anirudha