[Buildroot] Reproducing Autobuild errors

Anirudha Bose ani07nov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 01:26:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire <
patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anirudha Bose <ani07nov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire <
> >patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:
> snip
> >
> >Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.
> >
> >I am however facing some problems getting the right toolchain. Here is
> what
> >I did:
> >
> >1. Downloaded the toolchain from
> >http://autobuild.buildroot.net/toolchains/tarballs/
> >2. Extracted it to the location
> >/home/ani/Downloads/br-powerpc-603e-basic-cpp-2013.05-1/
> >3. In the .config file I edited this:
>
> >BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH="/home/ani/Downloads/br-powerpc-603e-basic-cpp-2013.05-1"
> >4. make toolchain trace-cmd
> >
> >After this I get the following error:

> >Cannot execute cross-compiler
>
> >'/home/ani/Downloads/br-powerpc-603e-basic-cpp-2013.05-1/bin/powerpc-linux-gcc'
> >
> >I think I am using the wrong toolchain. Can you tell me what is the
> problem?
>
> Can you check whether that file is present? Can you execute it manually
> (without options)?
> One possible cause of this problem is that the toolchain is built on a
> 64bit machine and your machine is only 32 bit. In this case it is
> impossible to run the toolchain, and you'll have to rebuild it yourself (if
> you have the configuration) or try to use another toolchain (like the
> CodeSourcery ones, that are selectable in menuconfig) and hope that the
> problem is not toolchain dependent.

You are right. The toolchain was built on a 64-bit machine and my OS was
32-bit. Anyway, I was able to use the toolchain by switching to a 64-bit OS.
When I executed this
    ./br-powerpc-603e-basic-cpp-2013.05-1/bin/powerpc-linux-gcc -dumpmachine
I got the following output which shows that the toolchain is now usable:
    powerpc-buildroot-linux-uclibc

I run make and was presented with errors instructing me to disable the
BR2_LARGEFILE, BR2_INET_IPV6, BR2_USE_WCHAR, and
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_HAS_NATIVE_RPC since these features "do not work with the C
compiler" (why?).

After making the necessary changes in the .config file, I run make and
Buildroot produced a successful build without any issues. I suppose the
following error in trace-cmd didn't show up for me since I had some of the
options disabled. Any thoughts?
   #error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for platform (bad gcc/glibc
config

> Best regards,
> Thomas

- Anirudha