[Buildroot] ccache problem when compiling with different toolchains in different projects

Danomi Manchego danomimanchego123 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 14:55:38 UTC 2013

Thomas,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:31 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:
>> On 22/04/13 14:32, Danomi Manchego wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:59 AM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be
>>> <mailto:arnout at mind.be>> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>>       Actually, after thinking a bit harder about it: the following
>>>     should work:
>>>
>>>     sed -n '/^# Toolchain/,/^# System configuration/' $(BUILDROOT_CONFIG)
>>> \
>>>              | md5sum -
>>>
>>>       So there's no need to rename stuff or anything.
>>>

>>> That would also use the GDB and ECLIPSE lines too.  But then, if it
>>> accounts for everything outside of the "%compiler% -v" info (wrappers,
>>> C-library), then it's worth it.
>>>
>>> I suppose that we could drop the these lines with an inverse grep:
>>>
>>> sed -n '/^# Toolchain/,/^# System configuration/p' .config | \
>>>      grep -v -e '^#' -e GDG -e ECLIPSE | \
>>>      md5sum
>>>
>>> Too much?
>>

>>  Too much, yes :-) But perhaps we could change the order of the toolchain
>> options.
>>

> Reviving this thread...
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2013-April/070819.html
>
> Is there any specific reason why there was no further evolution on this?

The conversation was dropped on my end because I actually came up with
a mod to ccache.mk as described above (GDB and ECPLIPSE filter
included), and have been using it ever since.  (Initially "testing",
of course, then just forgotten.)

I didn't submit a patch because the "%compiler% -v" portion of the
additional hash content could have the effect of introducing a path to
the individual's build directory (for built toolchains, I think - I
only use external or downloaded toolchains, so not sure) - which would
be bad for groups that use a shared cache directory.

But if you like, I can separate my ccache.mk changes into two or three
patches (since I did a couple other things too), and send as RFC.  But
I don't have too much time to do rework for the built toolchains.

Danomi -