[Buildroot] Name of downloaded archive, conflicts

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Oct 28 06:58:31 UTC 2013

On 25/10/13 16:05, Jan Viktorin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have encountred a problem when downloading custom kernel together
> with a custom (e.g.) u-boot. Both are downloaded from GitHub from a
> master branch. The URLs are (in case of using master branches):
>
>   https://github.com/Xilinx/u-boot-xlnx/archive/master.tar.gz
>   https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/archive/master.tar.gz
>
> and that leads to a file name conflict in the dl/ directory. I end
> with linux kernel extracted in the u-boot build directory...
>
> Is there a way in buildroot how to specify a different name after
> download is done or another way how to avoid the conflict? I tried to
> google a bit, however, without a success.

  This is a known issue, and we don't have a good solution for it.

  We have considered prepending the package name to every archive that is
downloaded, but this has two important problems:

  1. You can't use the download directory as a BR2_PRIMARY_SITE anymore.

  2. If the same source is used by two packages (e.g. kernel-headers and
linux), then it will also be downloaded twice.

  We haven't found a good solution for these problems. Ideas are welcome,
though.

  Fortunately, for your use case, there's an easy solution. Don't use
'master', but instead use an explicit sha1 of the version you want to
download. Your .config should really be reproducible, so that you can
give it to a colleague and they'll build the _same_ kernel as you.

  While you're developing linux and/or U-Boot, you can use the
_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism (which admittedly isn't very well documented
at the moment), which is a more explicit way of making 'local' changes to
the .config.

  Regards,
  Arnout