[Buildroot] PowerPC Build Problem

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Sep 4 07:54:35 UTC 2013

Dear Jason Rennie,

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:53:20 +1000, Jason Rennie wrote:

> I apologise if the question is inappropriate for this list but I know
> everyone here is knowledgeable and you were very helpful last time
> when I was having problems getting things to start and it turned out
> to be an issue with the device tree.
>
> I'm using buildroot to build for an APC8272ADS chip with Intel/Sharp
> Memory chips on board. That build of the kernel does appear to work
> correctly the relevant portion is

[...]

> But when I try building it with the latest buildroot (2013.08) and I
> configure the kernel (3.10.10) I get one of two things. If I don't
> include specific settings to physmap then I get a kernel panic when
> it can't mount the root filesystem as follows

From what you're telling us, it really looks like a kernel problem
(either a configuration one, or a real problem in the kernel code).
Since you're able to use a recent version of the kernel (3.10), it
means that you can easily benefit from support from the kernel
community. I would therefore recommend you to get in touch with the
PowerPC kernel developers doing the support for this board/SoC and
asking the question there.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons