[Buildroot] [git commit] kmod: disable manpages for host-kmod

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Sep 4 20:27:45 UTC 2013

On 09/04/13 22:13, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

>   Thomas> Dear Jérôme Pouiller,
>   Thomas> On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 17:50:47 +0200, Jérôme Pouiller wrote:
>
>   >> >  ifneq ($(BR2_HAVE_DOCUMENTATION),y)
>   >> >  KMOD_CONF_OPT += --disable-manpages
>   >> >  endif
>   >> What happens when BR2_HAVE_DOCUMENTATION is enabled? I think same
>   >> problem happens.
>   >>
>   >> We should add a dependency to host-libxslt and I think we can pass
>   >> variable XSLTPROC= to ./configure to use a specific location of
>   >> xsltproc.
>
>   Thomas> Yes, we normally should. But nobody seems to be testing or using
>   Thomas> BR2_HAVE_DOCUMENTATION. I would personally be in favor of just getting
>   Thomas> rid of BR2_HAVE_DOCUMENTATION. Who needs the documentation to be
>   Thomas> installed on the target?
>
> I'm also starting to think so. With Buildroot focused on cross
> compilation (and the development on target stuff gone), I don't see much
> use for documentation on the target either.

  Well, if you have a less space-constrained system it's kind of
convenient to be able to pull up a man page for some tool that you're
less familiar with and that is not installed on your host (not that I can
think of an example :-). However, in its current incarnation, including
documentation adds a huge amount of bloat. Taking one random output I
find 105MB in the target dir and 40MB of various bits of documentation in
the staging dir.

  Bottom line: yes, BR2_HAVE_DOCUMENTATION can be killed.

  Regards,
  Arnout