[Buildroot] [RFCv1 00/11] Convert toolchain backends to packages to fix source/external-deps/legal-info

Ryan Barnett rjbarnet at rockwellcollins.com
Fri Sep 6 12:37:20 UTC 2013

> From: Fabio Porcedda <fabio.porcedda at gmail.com>
>
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> > <snip>
> >
> > In the long term, I'm thinking of:
> >
> >  (1) Making 'toolchain' a dependency of all target packages, because
> >      it's really what it is.
>
> About that i've already sent a patch "package: add toolchain
> dependency to inner-generic-package:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/237887/
>
> I will rebase and send the patch after i sent the v3 for the top-level
> parallel make.

I would really like to see this because one of my biggest 'annoyances'
with buildroot is that if do a "make clean" and then "make <package>",
the toolchain doesn't copy over automatically. I use this sequence of
commands to test that I have my dependancies correct when adding new
packages or just testing a specific package that it builds correctly.

Again this is just annoyance with a simple workaround but it is good
to see that I'm not the only person with this annoyance. Thanks Fabio
for attempting to fix this.

Ryan J Barnett / Software Engineer / Platform SW
MS 137-157, 855 35th St NE, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52498-3161, US
Phone: 319-263-3880 / VPN: 263-3880
rjbarnet at rockwellcollins.com
www.rockwellcollins.com