[Buildroot] [RFC] Effective Patchwork Use and Patch Review

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 14:23:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
> Dear Ryan Barnett,
>
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 11:41:41 -0500, Ryan Barnett wrote:
>

> patchwork is really not here to help with the reviewing process. It's
> mainly of use for the Buildroot maintainer to keep track of which
> patches remain to be merged/rejected.
>
> All the reviewing process takes place on the mailing list, using e-mail
> clients. We don't use patchwork at all for this.

Agreed. When I wrote that patchwork improved the situation, I meant
that patchwork provided a good overview of outstanding patches, both
for reviewers as for maintainers.

> The only use of patchwork you may be interested in is to apply patches
> locally in order to be able to test them. But you don't even need
> pwclient for that. You can simply do:
>
> wget -O - http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/274867/mbox/ | git am
>
> This will fetch a patch from patchwork and apply it to the current
> branch.

This is also how I use patchwork.
As I wrote before, I'm using Mercurial for my buildroot development,
and specifically the mq extension that is similar to git's quilt, in
which case I can simply do:

hg qimport http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/274867/mbox/

which does the same as:

wget -O - http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/274867/mbox/ | hg qimport