[Buildroot] Is GPLv2 the right license for Buildroot?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 15:22:22 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-17, Jeremy Rosen <jeremy.rosen at openwide.fr> wrote:

> But don't overestimate that whole "provide the code" thing. There is
> very little code to provide, 99% of the code our customers use is unmodified
> and their only duty is to point you to the original project's URL (that
> usually includes buildroot).

I don't think that's true.  If you distribute a binary, you must
provide or offer to provide the actual source code on machine-readable
media.  Legally, you can't just give somebody a URL to a third-party
site where the source code can be obtained.  In practice, that's often
enough to make most people happy, but it's not enough to satisfy the
GPL.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Of course, you
                                  at               UNDERSTAND about the PLAIDS