[Buildroot] Using source inclusions in defconfig

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 09:34:02 UTC 2013

Hi Bryce,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Bryce Schober <bryce.schober at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks to me like the "source" command doesn't work in defconfigs. I get
> "warning:: unexpected data", and it doesn't include the referenced config.
>
> Is this a generic limitation, or an artifact of my ancient buildroot?
>
> It sure would be nice to modularize defconfigs for my target variants...

This is not buildroot-specific, it is kconfig that does not support
it. The same behavior is present in the most recent buildroot version.

This question/feature request has come up in the past. One idea is to
pre-process the config yourself with a script before running
buildroot. Basically this would be 'cat config1 config2 config3 >
configs/my_board_defconfig' followed by 'make my_board_defconfig'.
This works, but the biggest problem that I see is: how to save your
configuration back after you made changes. Since there is no record of
which original config file contained a given symbol, where should the
new value be written? You can easily generate the accumulated
defconfig, but then you'd have to manually split it up again into the
original files.